Monday, March 28, 2016

March 16-21

"Everyone is the enemy"
16 March 2016

Hello all! So yesterday was a big holiday here for the hungarian 1848 revolution so we had our p-day pushed back to wednesday so azért emailing today.


Last Tuesday: 
It was Women's day here (Nőnap). President called us to wish us a happy nőnap. It was adorable. 
Also, I completely reorganized our tracting book so things are easier now. 

Wednesday:
We got kicked out of yet another building. I think that's like 8 times this transfer now?
We had a good program with balázs though. We taught him the gospel of jesus christ and I think things are starting to click with him, hes just a little lazy though so that's hard but its good.
We had a crazy program with nüsi néni but we finally got through the plan of salvation with her!!! Woot! She definitely is confused about reincarnation and resurrection though...didn't quite understand it, even after we clarified it a few times.
Also, Mormon 9 is a super cool chapter. You guys should read it sometime.

Thursday:
We had zone conference in budapest with elder Leimer from the 70. It was SUPER good. He talked a lot about how its all about the spirit and about how obedience helps us be worthy of the spirit and that is how we find real success when we are obedient and are presenting the message of the restoration in a way that those we are talking to can make a correct decision. 
We also ran into this really cool hari krishna guy when we were in budapest named alex. He stopped us by asking us why we looked so happy and I responded "because we are happy" and then he asked us if we were mormons and how he didn't know there were girls too and it was just a really good conversation with him and I guess he used to live in maine and went to summer school in massachusetts so that was cool. He also said he once had a mormon girlfriend and how he just really liked the mormons. It was really nice seeing how we could have different beliefs but really whats the most important is showing each other Christ like love. It was nice.
almost everyone from our mtc district. (rankin, me, layton, nordberg, priest, dietrich)
me and my zöldi willets
the train ride home reading the new liahonas
Friday:
We had a lunch program with Ági and it was szuper cool because she had her older sister over and the girl that she rents a room to were both there and we had lunch with them all and taught them the gospel of jesus christ mixed with the restoration and they both wanted book of mormons and it was just really good. 
So funny story. When we were walking home that evening we were about to cross the street to go to our apartment building, but this biker was coming around the corner so I put my arm out to stop sister greenwood so we wouldn't run into him but instead of swerving around us (there was plenty of space for him to) he slowed down and pulled up right next to us. I thought he was going to yell at us or something for being in the street but as he came closer I could tell he was drunk and you could definitely smell it on him. He started talking to us and asking us where we were from and then he started touching sister greenwood's arm and so I of course was starting to be like, we need to get away from him but then he asked me a question about something or another and I guess when he distracted me he reached down and started holding greenwood's hand! And she was just frozen there and didn't do anything but then he started calling us really pretty and asked for our number and started trying to touch my name tag and so I backed up and gave him a blank pass along card with the website of the church on it and we just booked it around the corner. I think I'm going to need to start giving greenwood "if a creep touches you" training haha. 

Saturday:
We had our first sport nap of the season. Nobody showed up because it was cloudy out. 

Sunday:
The Szabadkaiék were in church and gave really good talks! It was really nice seeing them. 
me and lea szabadkai
Monday:
We tracted and then did a look up for this inactive family that he was the first hungarian branch president. They were home and said they would call, maybe. They were very nice though and we're toats going to visit them again. 
Sister greenwood taught me the restoration really well for the first time! 

Tuesday:
We went tracting in the morning because it was a holiday and thought people would be home but it was raining and we forgot to bring our umbrellas so that was fun but we actually tracted into this member that we had been trying to set up a program with for a couple of weeks but it hadn't been a good time but it was cool that we tracted into them because they invited us back that evening for palacsintas! They were super nice and it felt like being home. It made me really excited to feed the missionaries someday when I'm back from my mission. 
It was cool though being a  holiday there were some folk singers in the town square but since it was so rainy it wasn't anything big. 

Another cool thing from this week. I finished re-reading the book of mormon and it was just so wonderful. I am so grateful that we have the ability to receive revelation from our Heavenly Father when we read it and as I was reading the last few chapters in moroni I realized there are so many things we have to be grateful for in this life. We have the ability to communicate with an all knowing Isten [God] that knows exactly how we feel and we can rely on the atonement of Christ for anything. He doesn't expect us to be perfect but wants to help us become so with his help. I know he is real and I am so grateful to wear his name on my chest every day. 

Have a good week!

Heath Nővér
Budapest
Love this city
 
 21 March 2016
 
well, it hasn't been too long since I last emailed so not too many exciting things to talk about but here's our week!

Wednesday:
We had a program with Péter! finally. We invited the branch president Tibi with us and Péter had his wife there too! we taught about the plan of salvation and it was good. They had TONS of questions. Thank goodness the branch president was there and was able to help us.
I also got this really cool old copy of shakespeare in hungarian from this old book store. Its going to be cool to try and read later. 

Thursday:
We went and read from the new liahona to Andrea. It was pretty good. I think its going to be hard with the weather getting nicer for her to be stuck inside all day. 
Later we went tracting and got a let in with this couple named Károly and Margit. The didn't end up being interested but were very nice. 
so this is one of our favorite statues in town. He looks like he has the biggest wedgie ever.
Friday:
We went tracting and met a grumpy bacsi with the fattest dachshund I've ever seen. 

Saturday:
We tracted into this darling néni that talked to us out of her window for a good half hour. The first thing she said when she opened her window was "ooooohhh szépek vagytok!" (Ohhhh! you both are beautiful!) We tried telling her we were missionaries but for like the first minute or two she was wouldn't let us say anything she was just telling us how pretty we were. She couldn't see well but when I passed her the new easter card she was like "This little jézus is helping me to see him!" Then this guy in the middle of talking to her brought her these leaves and was like "give these to viktór" and she just took them and was like "oooo onions!" and it was adorable. She also had the most impressive mop dog. 
We also streeted into this darling sad néni. She said she used to believe in God but now wasn't sure. It was heart breaking and I felt impressed to talk with her about the atonement and she said before we parted ways that she felt peace. She didn't want to learn more but if felt good to at least give her hope that God loves her.
Later we had sport nap and tons of people came! It was awesome. We also ended up playing with this group of local kids and they were so freaking good. Just another reminder that I'm an american in europe when a six year old schools you at soccer.

Sunday:
Okay, so here is the story of our broken washer.
A couple of weeks ago we came home to find that the load of laundry we had thrown in had flooded our bathroom (I swear this happens in all of my cities). We cleaned it up and called our landlord and he apparently fixed it. Sister Greenwood later did a load and it was fine and then I was like sweet! I can finally have clean clothes! And so I put in a load and yet again. Flooded. We called him again and he came again and "fixed it" but said to call again if it flooded. We tried doing another load and boom. not two minutes after starting it all this soapy water came flooding on the floor. So I took all my clothes out (which were soaking wet) and put them in a laundry bag and we took my clothes dripping across town to the elders to borrow their washer. My whole left side of me got soaked and I left a trail of water after me. It was pretty funny.
After the washer incident we had a program with a less active named Varga Timea. She was super nice and had the spunkiest cool pixie cut. Hair envy. Super tempting to cut it off again. Later we met with Regina and she brought ice cream for us and it was adorable. Shes just so strong in the church and loves it. 


I hope you all have a good week! Love you all!

Sister Heath
 
cleaning up the flooded washer, again.
 

1 comment:

  1. A broken washer is a small obstacle when doing the Lord's work.

    ReplyDelete